PLEASE NOTE: our office remains open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person or via telephone. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Contact us for free initial consultation
336-794-6194 800-266-4503
Main Menu

How to respond to sexual harassment at work

Sexual harassment is unacceptable behavior, especially in the workplace. If you have experienced sexual harassment at work, there are actions you can take to stop the problem. However, it is important that you do not wait too long to act because a Charge of Employment Discrimination, if it comes to that, must be filed within the first 180 days after the act of sexual harassment.

Request that the actions stop

Whenever possible, a good first step to resolve the problem is to tell the person that his or her actions offend you, and ask him or her to stop. In some situations, the person may not realize how the behavior is making you feel, and once the person knows the behavior is unwelcome, he or she may stop.

File a complaint with your employer

If the behavior does not stop, you should follow your employer’s procedure for reporting sexual harassment. Typically, this will require you to report the incident to your manager, human resources or another person with the company.

While you can report the incident verbally, it is often best to do so in writing. You can also follow up with a formal complaint letter, which should include the names, dates, comments, actions and consequences. You should put all the related events into chronological order and note any ongoing behaviors if there are any.

File a Charge of Employment Discrimination

If you are unable to resolve the problem with your employer, you can file a Charge of Employment Discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This can be done online or in person at an EEOC office. The EEOC could ask you and your employer to attend mediation or it might launch an investigation. It may also close the investigation if it determines the criteria for an investigation have not been met.

Consider litigation

Litigation is an appropriate action in some situations. However, you must have a Notice of Right to Sue from the EEOC before you can file a federal lawsuit. Often, the EEOC will want at least 180 days to try to resolve this charge before you file a lawsuit, but this is not always the case.

No one should have to put up with sexual harassment at work. If you have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace, you should consider responding right away by asking that the actions stop and filing a complaint with your employer. If the offensive behaviors continue, you can file a Charge of Employment Discrimination and consider litigation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


  • Dear Randy:
    We were all so impressed by your knowledge, thoroughness and presentation. You have done a wonderful job representing my son and we all are grateful for the diligence put forth.
    Mary G. Raleigh, NC
  • I wish it were under different circumstances that we met but at the same time so glad I did. You are awesome. Take care Randy.
    Jessalyn M. King, NC
  • Thank you Randy for everything you did to help us find a resolution.
    Mike C. Kernersville, NC.
  • I recommend the law offices of Randolph M. James. He and his associate kept me informed throughout my case and were very knowledgeable about the facts surrounding my situation. Because of their experience, they were able to guide me to the proper venue where the judiciary was qualified to deal with complex issues such as mine. Thus, we received a favorable outcome. Should I need legal counsel in the future, I would obtain the services of Randolph M. James again.
    Ray K. (Business owner/developer)
Aircraft Owners And Pilots Association Certified Mediator The National Trail Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers Angel Flight West

Winston-Salem Office
116 North Spruce Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Toll Free: 800-266-4503
Phone: 336-794-6194
Fax: 336-724-9722
Map & Directions

Oak Island Office
8821 East Oak Island Drive
Suite 1
Oak Island, NC 28465

Map & Directions

Review Us